" Transformation of a Junk Food Mom: Did you say Chocolate?

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Did you say Chocolate?



Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies, oh my! I recently bought my first ever Clean Eating magazine. As I began to flip through the magazine (back cover to front, of course!), the first recipe I came across was for these delicious looking cookies. They are gluten-free, dairy-free, and are low in suger. I'm a sucker for chocolate, so I knew this recipe was a keeper!



The ingredients are pretty simple - almond butter, egg, baking soda, cocoa, salt, sucanat...wait, what?! Sucanat? What the heck is sucanat? I had never heard of this before which probably isn't too surprising since I rarely set foot in the kitchen or a grocery store. But even my husband had never heard of it. I sent him to the grocery store on a mission to find sucanat and he succeeded! He found it in the health food section of our local HEB. And, if you're wondering, sucanat is non-refined cane sugar.

The cookies were super easy to prepare. I think it took about 10 min prep time and another 10 minutes baking time per dozen. Here are some prep pics:





And the final product!



Overall, for the first try, I was pretty impressed with how the cookies turned out. I think I added just a little bit too much salt, so I'll have to make sure I don't add too much next time. Also, make sure to let the cookies cool completely. I would definitely recommend this recipe for a cleaner version of chocolate chip cookies! Let me know how they turn out if you bake them. :)

Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Clean Eating March/April 2010

Makes 24 cookies
Hands on time: 10 min
Total time: 22 min

Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted almond butter, stirred well
3/4 cup Sucanat
1 large egg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
3 oz dark chocolate (70% cocoa or greater) broken into small pieces

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, stir together first 5 ingredients until blended. Stir in chocolate.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes. Remove to a wire rack and let cool for 15 more minutes.

Nutrition per Cookie:
Calories - 110; Total Fat - 8 g;
Sat. Fat - 1.5 g; Carbs - 10 g;
Fiber - 1 g; Sugars - 3 g; Protein - 2 g;
Sodium - 55 mg; Cholesterol - 10 mg

No comments:

Post a Comment